Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Curious about anemia

Dr. Getty:

I wondered if horses (especially mares who foal) ever get anemic? I assume they get LOTS more iron in their diet from the leafy green diet than the average person, but I just wondered. Just curious, because I've just been diagnosed with "significant anemia," and I was wondering if horses ever have it.

Thanks,
Nancy

Where are you from? Tennessee

How did you locate this forum? google search

Re: Curious about anemia

Hi Nancy,

Iron deficiency anemia is rare in horses because they do get a lot of iron from pasture grasses and hay. Anemia of this type is more common in horses with ulcers, since this leads to significant blood loss. I see anemia in retired race horses and horses that perform in speed events, for the most part, because they typically have ulcers of the stomach and duodenum.

Anemia can also be cause be a deficiency in vitamins B12 or Folic Acid, or both, even if enough iron is in the diet. These B vitamins are necessary for the production of healthy blood cells, so if a horse is diagnosed as "anemic," it's important to know the cause. The same goes for humans.

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO