Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
I am now offering a Low Sugar/Low Starch Treat!

Greetings everyone,

Thanks to the discovery of one very astute reader of this forum, I have added a wonderful treat to my Free Shipping Store. This treat is for all those horses that are not able to enjoy treats because treats are typically high in sugar and grain. These are horses that are insulin resistant, prone toward laminitis, overweight, suffer from cushings, or those whose behavior changes when eating grain.

If you have a horse like this, and want to take a look at these treats, go to http://gettyequinenutrition.biz/products/skodestreats.htm and read about the ingredients and flavors. They are all low in NSC (non-structural carbohydrates) which means that they are very low in sugars and starch.

I am so tickled to be able to suggest these to you because, up until now, there really haven't been very good options for these horses, other than plain alfalfa cubes.

If you have any questions about any of them, just let me know.

Now your horses can be happier! Poor dears, they can't eat and they can't even go shopping! (When I can't eat, I shop! Don't you?!).

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Re: I am now offering a Low Sugar/Low Starch Treat!

I know I saw them! I dropped in to order quiessence and ended up with the sample pack. lol I hate leaving the barn because unless Tequila has his bucket in front of him (hay doesn't do it) he stares at me like "where are you going!" all the way down the driveway. I didn't want to leave extra feed or cookies on top of his hay (that is too many cookies) but the trail mix thing is perfect! I can give them a handful and slip out while they munch lol
jamie

Hi Jamie,

Yes, these treats are like a trail mix so you can offer as much or as little as you like. I see you got the sample pack -- let me know which flavor you like best!

The cookies are coming out soon -- I will have those available in a week or so.

Best regards,

Dr. Getty

I just wanted to put in a good word on these products. My horses love the Nutty Seed Treats. They now sell it in a bag also to mix & bake your own & it even comes with the cookie cutter. You can make them soft or crunchy depending on your horse's taste. I also have bought the Vashkas Vittles - trail mix.
I highly recommend these products. Thank you for carrying products for our IR horses.

Where are you from? MN

Hi Kelly!

What a wonderful testimonial! Thank you. Yes, I have had wonderful feedback from users of the Skode's Horse Treats, both in the trailmixes and the cookie mix.

Thanks again,

Dr. Getty