Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
how much alfalfa pellets?

Dear Dr Getty,
Thank you for the advice on the wood chewing, etc.
I'll keep you posted.

Now I have a quick question on about alfalfa pellets.

You mentioned to me before, that if I feed my yearlings (who will be 2 in April) grass hay with no alfalfa in it that I should add alfalfa pellets(or the like) to their diet because they need the extra calcium and lysine that it provides cuz they are growing.

Ok ..so NOW they have GRASS hay and I bought alfalfa pellets. I read that 1/2 lb of alfalfa pellets equals
1 lb of hay. You also said never give more than 3 lbs in a feeding.

My question is:
How much alfalfa pellets should I give them DAILY?
One filly weighs almost 1000 lbs and she gets 1 lb ( 3 cups)of Blue Seal Trotter twice a day.
The other filly weighs about 900 lbs and she gets 1 1/2 lbs (5 cups) twice a day.

They both also get Accel, Nutraflax, free choice hay, salt block and fresh water.

I gave them each 1 lb of pellets (1 cup)with their Trotter today but I'm not sure that is enough. I also soaked the pellets.

Thanks so much ...you are invaluable!

Where are you from? MA

How did you locate this forum? horse list

Re: how much alfalfa pellets?

sorry...I mean I gave them 1/2 lb ( approx 1 cup) of alfalfa pellets today.

Where are you from? MA

How did you locate this forum? horse list

Re: how much alfalfa pellets?

Hi MJ,

The 3 to 4 lb limit basically applies to concentrates and not as much to forages. However, it is still a good idea to not overfeed.

I would suggest giving each of them 1 1/2 lbs of alfalfa pellets per meal. That would provide them with the equivalent of 6 lbs of alfalfa hay per day.

This is an estimate, but you can certainly go with it. To truly know the exact amount of calcium, phosphorus, protein, etc., that you're feeding, I would need to do an analysis. But, based on what you're feeding, this amount of pellets is appropriate.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO