Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Selenium & vitamin E

Hi Doc, I had a chiropractor to see my horse today. Of course he was way out of alignment and he corrected all that needed correcting. But he told me his muscles were to tight and that he needed an injection of selenium the supplement. Question do you have anything that i can feed him orally for this problem or does the Glanzen 3 have this in it already. He told me I needed to give him at least 10 cc and it will help his muscles to loosen up. Can you help? It would be greatly appreciated. Sign your customer Cajunn.

Where are you from? AZ

How did you locate this forum? by a friend

Re: Selenium & vitamin E

Hi Cajunn!

I am wary of selenium injections, especially since Arizona soils are typically adequate and even high in selenium. Glanzen does come in a selenium-added version, called Glanzen-SE, and it is on my website. But, it is really important to know the selenium content of your hay, if grown in Arizona, before using this.

Electrolytes are very important for muscle function, as well as calcium and magnesium. So, I would suggest examining this first, before going with this treatment.

You didn't mention the concentration of the selenium injection, only the amount of fluid injected. So, it is would be helpful to know the mg of Selenium per cc.

All the best,

Doc

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO