Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
mare in foal

I just bought a mare due to foal end of March from another state.They are feeding here there own mix of corn,oats ect.I would like to change to what im feeding my geldings but im not sure how much or should i feed a mare and foal feed?This is what i feed.Im worried she may loose weight while im swiching feeds.
3lbs Alfalfa pellets
3lbs Beetpulp
1 cup ground flax seed
2 cups black oil sunflower seeds
Vitamin and mineral supplement
Would this work or would she be lacking.Thanks a lot.
Becky

Where are you from? NY

How did you locate this forum? Been here lots of times

Re: mare in foal

forgot to add,she gets free choice grass hay.

Where are you from? NY

Hi Becky,

Congratuations! I would suggest you switch to the diet that you feed your geldings. As long as she's getting good quality grass hay 24/7, she'll be fine with these ingredients. I would offer her a third meal, assuming you're feeding her two meals per day now, of alfalfa, either as hay or as pellets, and an additional 2 lbs of beet pulp. And, you could also add an additional 1/2 cup of flaxseed meal.

This is an estimate, since I don't know you mare's size. But for the average 1000 lb mare who is not overweight, she will need the additional feed to provide her with the nutrients she needs for her foal.

A supplement that is designed for pregnant mares is very important, both during pregnancy and after the foal is born. I recommend Mare/Foal IIP. And after the foal is born, you will need to continue feeding her plenty -- even more than during her pregnancy -- since lactation uses a large amount of calories.

If you don't already have a foaling guide, I also suggest The Complete Foaling Manual to help you know what to expect and care for your mare and the newborn.

Happy Foaling!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hi Dr. Getty,My mare traveled good but she is on the thin side and she has been here 2 days and will not eat alfalfa pellets or the shreaded beet pulp dry or soaked.she is only eating grass hay.Im afraid she is going to loose more weight,what do i do?
Thank you for your help. Becky

Where are you from? NY

Becky:

Wondered if you can get a couple of bales of alfalfa to try the mare on that? I tried alfalfa pellets with mine, and they acted like it was poison or something, but they LOVE alfalfa hay. Guess the pellets didn't LOOK like forage.

Nancy

Where are you from? Tennessee

How did you locate this forum? google search

Hi Becky,

As Nancy suggested, alfalfa hay would be worthwhile adding to the diet to help with weight gain. I frankly, have never seen a horse that didn't like alfalfa hay (pellets? yes -- but not the hay).

Add a weight gain product, as well, to the diet. You can mix it with a small amount oats, just to provide a "carrier" for the supplements. I recommend Hard Keeper.

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO