Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Breeding Senior Mares

I have purchased a 22 year old QH mare that is being bred for a 2008 foal. The seller thinks she has 4 or 5 more breeding years in her. I am wondering at what age it would be advisable to stop breeding this mare?

Where are you from? Salem, Or

How did you locate this forum? Yahoo search engine

Re: Breeding Senior Mares

Hi Teresa,

It really depends on the mare and how she's been treated, fed, and bred over the years. 22 years old is on the old side to breed, though I've seen it done. In order to breed at this age, she needs to be in excellent health, have good muscle tone, be of healthy weight (not overweight or underweight), have healthy joints, and have a history of a nutritious diet. Without all these factors, she can certainly experience complications during pregnancy, difficult delivery, and her bones can become porous and easily fracture.

So, 4 or 5 more years of breeding? I'm skeptical. Be careful, get all the facts about her history, and have your vet carefully examine her before breeding.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Dr Getty,

Thanks again for the Great advice! Since I first posted this I found that the seller has been unable to interest her in the stud so we will be picking her up and bringing her home at last. This will give us a chance to evalute her condition before deciding to go ahead with the breeding!

Thank you!
Teresa

Where are you from? Salem

How did you locate this forum? Yahoo Search

Hi Teresa,

That may be a blessing in disguise! This way you can have her examined to make sure she is healthy.

To help her conception rate, you may want to consider adding a concentrated source of gamma oryzanol in the product, Body Builder.

But, first things first -- see if she's healthy enough to sustain a pregnancy.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO