Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
breeding a ulcer prone mare

Hi Dr. Getty,
I have a KMSH mare that I believed had ulcers since I purchased her 1 1/2 yrs.ago. She has always had back issues and is a hard keeper. She coliced in Nov. and had a decreased appetite. Blood work indicated anemia and low protein levels.
I had a gastroscopy and a abdominal ultrasound preformed. 3 mild to moderate gastric ulcers were found along the dorsal aspect of the margo plicatus though that sounds like a foreign language to me I believe the ulcers were in a less common location.
She was treated with gastro gard for 21 days with no grain, hay and fresh water only.
She is now on TizWhiz Sr. with 1 cup of BOSS, 1 Oz. of aloe vera ,free choice grass hay 24/7,loose free choice white salt and fresh water.
What would you recommend to add or replace in her diet to keep the ulcers under control and promote a healthy pregnancy.
Thank you for your time and knowledge.
Lina

Where are you from? N.E.Ohio

How did you locate this forum? a fellow reader sent me the web address she new I needed help

Re: breeding a ulcer prone mare

Hi Lina,

Thank you for writing. I would make certain that the feed you are offering is not grain-based. That means, it should not contain any cereal grains in the ingredients, such as oats, barley, or corn. Starch increases stomach acid secretion and therefore, you want to feed her a low-starch diet. Choose a commercial ration that is low in starch such as Triple Crown Low Starch. There are others available, as well.

The B vitamins are crucial to the health of the digestive system, so I recommend two things. One, is to add additional B vitamins in the form of a B Complex. B Plex is worth considering. Second, add Ration Plus to her diet in a double dose per day in order to keep her bacterial flora in peak numbers.

I would also suggest eliminating or at least, reducing the sunflower seeds. These are high in omega 6 fatty acids, which increase inflammation. Go with flaxseed meal to provide omega 3 fatty acids. Nutra Flax is my choice because it does not have any added grain. Omega Horseshine is also popular, but I don't use it or carry it because it also contains oats.

I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Dr. Getty thank you for you suggestions I will try them.
Thanks for the heads up in the sumflower seeds. I was giving this little mare extea BOSS for added fat, she lost weight during the gastro gard treatment. I now stopped.
When I took this mare to the Equine Specialty hospital, the vet thought it was a good suggestion to breed this mare. So she will be breed this spring.
When should I start feeding mare/foal IIP? And what about adding Quiessence to her feed for her tense muscles and sore back?
I'll be ordering you foaling book too, it has been years since I raised a foal I need to brush up on my knowledge. Thanks again
Lina

Where are you from? N.E.Ohio

How did you locate this forum? a fellow reader sent me the web address she new I needed help

Hi Lina,

If you use Quiessence, that's fine, but only use 1/2 dose, since she may still be suffering from ulcers. So, that would be 1 to 2 scoops for a 1000 lb horse.

B Plex and Ration Plus may be sufficient to calm her nervousness, so I would suggest you try that first.

Regarding the breeding -- to get her in tip top shape, take a look at Body Builder. This is highly concentrated in gamma oryzanol, which is very effective in a successful pregnancy.

If she is not currently on a vitamin/mineral supplement, go ahead and give her Mare/Foal IIP now. The extra B vitamins will help protect against birth defects. If you decide to start her on B Plex, however, you can wait until she is pregnant to start Mare/Foal IIP.

If at some point you would like to meet personally, I offer phone consultations to customize diets and help individual horse owners, like yourself, go over all the details to help ensure a healthy pregnancy and foal.

Keep up the fine work! Here is the link to The Complete Foaling manual: http://gettyequinenutrition.biz/foalingmanualdescription.htm

I didn't write it (though I am currently writing a book). It is written by Theresa Jones and is one of the most highly regarding reference books for owners of pregnant mares. It is written in a very easy to understand manner, with plenty of valuable pictures and it will help you know what to expect; what's normal and what's not.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Dr. Getty, Thank you so much for recommending these products. My mare has been on everything you recommended and is doing GREAT. Plus she is in foal! I also bought the foaling Manual. So I should keep her on this same diet until she's about 8 months along?
Thanks again!
Lina

Where are you from? Ohio

How did you locate this forum? friend

Hi Lina!

Congratulations!!!

You would keep her on Mare/Foal IIP and even Ration Plus and Quiessence, throughout her pregnancy. The key is the last three months where she will be gaining between 1/2 to 1 lb per day! Her calorie needs will increase dramatically and therefore, you will need to give her more to eat. Certainly, grass hay 24/7 will stay the same. Add alfalfa to the mix, and give her more meals each day.

After the foal is born, her energy (calorie) needs are even greater than when she is pregnant because she is lactating. So, keep this in mind.

If, toward the end of her pregnancy, you would like to take a closer look at her diet and health, I'll be happy to visit with you to go over specifics.

Enjoy!

Dr. Getty