Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Vaccine Reaction

A few days ago i got my horses yearly vaccines and the vet gave a new flu and strangles vaccine up his nose, but the rest were the normal vaccines. But where his normal vaccines were given his neck is a little swollen. He dosent eat much, only his oats, and usually he is done with alfalfa and oats super quick. Also he just hangs his head in the stall in a corner and if you try to halter him he just walks around very slowly. The vet said too just give him some bute for a day. Think that will help? Its been going on for about 3 days. Today ill reply again and say if hes better. Any suggestions?

Re: Vaccine Reaction

ok hes not acting sick anymore he`ll run and everything, but as of last night he still has i think his whole days worth of hay not ate. The vet gave a new flu/strangles vaccine up his nose, have you seen anyone thats horse had problems with it?

Hi Joey,

Vaccinations put a lot of demand on the immune system of the horse. And, some brands and types of vaccinations can cause ill-effects in sensitive horses.

So, first, make a note to not use this type of vaccine in the future. And, second, contact your vet about his change in eating behavior. It's best to rule out any secondary problems.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

ok thanks ill do that! ^^