Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Blankets

Hi Dr. Getty,

How's the weather in Colorado (cold)? What do you recommend for blanketing horses. Everyone has a different idea what temp is too cold. I read that the ideal tempurature for horses is around 55 degrees, is that correct?

Also, most horses lose weight in the winter I would guess because grasses are less available and horses spend more calories trying to stay warm. I have found many charts on body condition and what is a good weight but most of the time when people tell me the horse needs to gain weight, I do see why. What signs do you look for (specifially) to determine if the horse has lost too much weight and needs to have their feed increased?

Thanks - hope it's not too cold where you are!
Patty

Where are you from? Florida

Re: Blankets

Sorry, mistake on question about weight. I ment to type "I don't see why"

Thanks

Hi Patty,

I live in Colorado, as you know, and it gets down into the single digits at night. I do not blanket my horses. They can go into the barn to get out of the wind, so it's important to have some shelter to stay out of the elements.

The key is to keep them dry. If they are wet from rain and it is cold, their coats are not effective in keeping them warm.

But 55 degrees is very warm and unless your horse is clipped, you should not blanket them. Horses do very well in the cold and have thick undercoats to their winter coats that keep them insulated.

Horses should not lose weight during the winter. If they do, it's because they are not being fed adquately. Hay, good quality grass hay with perhaps some alfalfa, is very important to help produce body heat. And, it should be available at all times. If a horse has hay 24/7, he should be fine. A meal or two during the day that provides additional calories and nutrients (say from the appropriate supplements) will keep him healthy.

Water is very important, as well. And, it should be kept at 50 degrees. Most horses do not like to drink ice cold water and will not drink enough. And don't forget salt!

So, how can you tell if a horse is getting too thin? If you can see his ribs, he's too thin. If you can feel them, that's fine.

In Florida, it really doesn't get cold enough to blanket horses, unless the wind chill gets below 20 degrees and it is raining. They love the cold! Ever see how much fun they have kicking their heels up when the there's a chill in the air?

Hope this helps!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks for the reply.

On the weight, that is the practice I have always used and neither of the horses ribs are showing in fact I have to really press to make them out when running my have down their sides. I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and not worry about it. I think some people just like horses a little plump.

Patty

Keep up the good work!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO