Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Feeding a foal

I'll try to make this brief, but you know how that can go...

I have a 9 mo Morgan colt that was getting fat and cresty from very small amounts of grain. His dam has been dx'd with Cushings, and his 1/2 sister with IR - so I immediately suspected that he's another one of those that can't tolerate the high sugar/starch diets. I took him off grain and switched him over to GrowNWin (1 1/2 lb. p/day - feeding the 3-4 lbs as recommended throws the iron and other nutrients into the scary range) until I could figure out something better. In the few weeks he's been off grain, he's dropped a bit too much weight - and all my searching for something more appropriate has me more confused than ever. In addition to the GrowNWin, he was getting about 10 lbs of grass hay - now up'd to 15 lbs p/day - and am still waiting for this latest analysis to get back from Dairy One, so am working off an old hay analysis - but it should be similar. As an aside, feeding alfalfa or even a mix isn't feasable - I've got too many horses here that can't tolerate it (all Morgans) and finding decent (i.e. not moldy/dusty) alfalfa is not easy around here.

So I guess my questions are 1) should I just keep the increased hay amount and see how it goes? 2) If yes, how long should I wait before adding denser calories? 3) What would be a better choice then the GrowNWin?

I have no problem taking some of this and that and "creating" a ration - already doing that for his mother and sister!

Thanks,

Tara

Where are you from? Minnesota

How did you locate this forum? in one of my many google searches

Re: Feeding a foal

Hi Tara,

Actually, with a grass hay diet, adding Grow N Win isn't a bad choice. But, once you know your hay analysis, you may find it helpful for me to help you with an analysis of your overall diet. That way, you'll know how much iron, and other nutrients your foal is getting.

Morgans have a genetic tendency toward insulin resistance, so you are wise to change his diet.

I personally prefer to feed a diet that consists of grass hay, and provide a small meal of alfalfa pellets (since he doesn't need a large amount of calories) in order to be a carrier for an appropriate supplement. For foals, I like using Mare/Foal IIP.

I hope this is helpful. Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks for your response!

Could you give me some brand names for the alfalfa pellets? I know my local feed store doesn't carry them, but with a brand I can locate one that does.

Thanks again,

Tara

Where are you from? Minnesota

How did you locate this forum? in one of my many google searches

Hi Tara,

I use Purina alfalfa pellets because they does not contain any added grain or animal fat. The pellets are relatively large, so you may want to moisten them to avoid choke.

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO