Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Dicalcium Phosphate and hay storage

Hi Dr Getty,

Please could you tell me what dicalcium phosphate is used for, and how much of it you should feed?

I'd also like to know how to store 120 bales (4 months worth) of grass hay so that I have stock for winter and so that it won't go mouldy? How should I pack them to avoid this?

Re: Dicalcium Phosphate and hay storage

Another question, the grass my horses stand on, and nibble on when their hay is finished is about 7cm high or less and low in calcium. They are both on about 14kg of grass hay each, with a bit of bran (maxiumum 500g) for their supplements would eating a bit of low calcium grass make a difference to their ca:ph ratio which is 1:6-2 I have calculated.

Hi Christine,

You want to make certain that the amount of calcium is twice the amount of phosphorus. So, it sounds like you've already done some calculations to figure out the amount of each mineral. Add dicalcium phosphate accordingly to bring up the calcium level. Or you may simply be able to remove the bran component (which is high in phosphorus) from the diet, which will bring the calcium concentration higher.

If you need help with the calculations, I can certainly assist you.

About the hay storage -- you want to keep the hay covered so that it doesn't get wet and it is protected against the sunlight. If there is adequate air circulation, it should not mold unless it was baled while still wet.

Thanks for writing!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks for the advice :)