Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Feeding almond meal to horses as a treat/How about olive oil/Flax meal w calcium?

I have not seen any research on whether it is safe to feed almond meal to horses. The closest is sesame
seeds.
Is olive oil an acceptable oil for horses?
If we were to feed flax meal to horses, how much calcium is recommended.
Thank you very much for your help.

Where are you from? Leesburg, Virginia

How did you locate this forum? google search

Re: Feeding almond meal to horses as a treat/How about olive oil/Flax meal w calcium?

Hello Marisol,

I have not heard of feeding almond meal but the use of almond hulls is commonly used as a feed byproduct and is perfectly safe. I would expect that feeding the meal of almonds is also safe, in small quantities.

Olive oil is acceptable for horses, but is only high in omega 9 fatty acids (monounsaturates) and does not contain any omega 3s. You would be better off with rice bran oil, since it is high in monounsaturates, as well as gamma oryzanol (a fatty substance that is helpful in performance, strength, and muscle development).

Flaxseed meal is higher in phosphorus than calcium. Therefore, it is important to add a calcium rich food to the diet. The amount would depend on what else you are feeding. A simpler way is to purchase a stabilized product that is less likely to go rancid and has added calcium, to create a favorable calcium to phosphorus ratio. I recommend Nutra Flax.

Thanks for writing!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Re: Feeding almond meal to horses as a treat/How about olive oil/Flax meal w calcium?

Thank you very much Dr. Getty for your thorough explanation on flax meal, olive oil and almond meal.
You have been most helpful.
Sincerely,
Marisol Fernandini-Gaffney

Where are you from? Leesburg, Virginia

How did you locate this forum? google search