Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Laminitis

Hello, I have a 15 year old gelding, American Saddlebred that it is in the acute phase of Laminitis (36 hrs in now). He was on Alfalfa/Oat Hay. Now has been switched to 80% Timothy and 20% grass hay. This is new for me so any suggestions would be welcome to make sure he receives the best care. The vet believes the laminitis is metabolic, related to the thryroid, and has placed him on Thryo-L ( 2 scoops in the am), as well as banamine, bute, isoxsuprine, and gastri- guard. Thanks for the help.

Where are you from? California

How did you locate this forum? Yahoo search for feeding suggestions

Re: Laminitis

Hello Susan,

I'm sorry to hear about your gelding's laminitis. So far, you are managing the pain, I expect, but the underlying reason is not clear. If your horse is indeed hypothyrid (which is really rare), then thyroid medication is helpful. But, there are several causes of laminitis, in addition to thyroid function.

I would like to help you, and to do so would require more understanding of your horse's overall situation, health, history, feeding, stress, exercise, etc. So, perhaps you would like to consider a personal consultation.

In the meantime, you are wise to remove the grain hay from his diet. And, you also need to remove any cereal grains, sugar, carrots, apples, or other starchy/sugary items from his diet.

Supplementation is critical in boosting circulation to the feet as well as removing free radicals from his bloodstream that are caused by inflammation. I generally recommend PreOx or Laminex, depending on the circumstance.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Re: Laminitis

Dr Getty,

Thank you for the response. His story is a long one, too long to post I feel. So I've emailed you, I hope you don't mind.

Thanks again,

Susan

Where are you from? California

How did you locate this forum? Yahoo search for feeding suggestions