Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
ERU (uveitis)

Is it possible to help a horse with ERU with diet? I have heard some say that they have regained sign with a specific diet, is that possible? Is there anything you would recommend for a horse who still has their sight with ERU to prevent it from getting worse?

Thank you

Where are you from? IL

How did you locate this forum? another website

Re: ERU (uveitis)

Hi Randi,

Equine Recurrent Uveitis (ERU), commonly called moon blindness, is one of the most common eye problems in horses. The symptoms come and go, but over time, can lead to blindness. It is considered an immune response disease where the antibodies attack bacteria or parasites. And, even after the organism is no longer present, the antibodies can attack the eye tissue, leading to inflammation.

Because of this, controlling inflammation is the main goal in dietary management. There are several anti-inflammatory nutrients that can be very helpful. Antioxidants should be supplemented in high amounts to remove the free radicals that are caused as a result of this inflammation. I highly suggestion PreOx at 2 ounces per day to provide adequate amounts of vitamins E, C, along with grape seed extract, and supporting nutrients. This supplement should not be given with another vitamin/mineral supplement, so if you are already providing a supplement, you'll want to discontinue its use, if you decide to go with PreOx.

If your horse is over 15 years old, you will want to add even more vitamin C, because he is not able to produce as much as he used to. Pure C is easy to use and economical.

I also recommend adding MSM to his diet as an additional anti-inflammatory agent.

And, finally, flaxseed meal will add additional omega 3 fatty acids to the diet, which will reduce inflammation. Go with Nutra Flax since it is of excellent quality.

Avoid adding oils such as soybean, corn, or wheat germ oils to the diet since they are high in omega 6 fatty acids, which increase inflammation.

So, along with medical treatment, an aggressive nutritional intervention would be warranted. The supplements I've recommended are what I would use if he were my horse in this situation. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you so much- She is 6 yrs old.
I will get started changing her diet around asap

Where are you from? IL

How did you locate this forum? another website

Hi Randi,

I'll look forward to updates.

Dr. Getty