Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Platform Mare&Foal

Hi Dr. Getty,
Ive been thinking about feeding Platform mare & foal,
This is some of the tag;
Wheat middlings,Wheat flour,Corn distillers dried grains,rice bran,molasses,dehyrated alfalfa meal,ground corn,soybean oil ect.
It has some good stuff-ricebran,beetpulp,flaxseed,
but what about the corn?
Should i pass on it because it has Corn?
Thanks alot. Becky

Where are you from? NY

How did you locate this forum? Been here lots of times

Re: Platform Mare&Foal

Hi Becky,

Unfortunately, ingredient lists for animal feeds are not listed in order of concentration (like they are for human foods). So, the amount of corn may be high or low and there really isn't any way of knowing. The distiller's corn is fine since that is not the whole grain. But, you may be able to determine how much whole corn is in it by looking at the feed.

You could call the manufacturer and see if they will tell you the level of NSC (non-structural carbohydrates) in the feed. That would be good to know. (And, please pass along that info to me and the readers, if you get it! )

Keep me posted on what you learn!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado