Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Platinum Performance

My vet has told me to put my 3yo gelding, who just had stifle surgery, on Platinum Performance. Does that have enough omega fatty acids? I can get linseed meal at the feed store, but the bag doesn't say whether it's full fat. It does say "solvents extracted" and lists a low fat content. What would the fat content have to be for it to be considered full fat?

Where are you from? Poolville Tx

How did you locate this forum? Equine DDS

Re: Platinum Performance

Hi Pam,

Pure flaxseed meal is approximately 40% fat with an approximate ratio of 4 to 1 Omega 3 to Omega 6 fatty acids.

Linseed meal, however, usually has the fat extracted (that's what "solvent extracted" is). So, I would not suggest feeding it.

Platinum performance is a vitamin/mineral supplement that is flaxseed-meal based and is high in omega 3s. However, the label does not indicate the exact amount.

If you are already feeding a vitamin/mineral supplement, you would not want to feed Platinum Performance in addition to another supplement. It would best to feed Nutra Flax -- which is simply flaxseed meal that is stabilized (so it won't easily go rancid) and has added calcium to create an optimal calcium to phosphorus ratio.

If you aren't feeding a vitamin/mineral supplement, then Platinum Performance is certainly worthwhile. But, the exact level of Omega 3 is not available on their website. I do have this information for you on Glanzen Complete and Reitsport, if you would like to look at these products.

Thanks for writing!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado