Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
calcium

Hi, My mare is due to foal at the end of this month.
This is what she gets.
Am 2 lbs Beetpulp
2 lbs alfalfa pellets
1 lbs ricebran (made with extra calcium)
1 cup ground flaxseed
1 oz sho-glo vit/min
Noon 2 lbs Beetpulp
2 lbs alfalfa pellets
PM same as AM
She gets free choice timothy hay,but it seems she has been eating less of it,like shes waiting for me to bring her,her bucket of goodies(above)
Is she getting to much calcium? Is there something i should take out or add to balance it better?
She is keeping her weight but i would like her to gain a little more,Can i add more of one of the above or should i give her a more calorie dense feed.(some kind of commerical mix)Thanks for your help,I look forward to hearing from you. Becky

Where are you from? NY

How did you locate this forum? Been here lots of times

Re: calcium

I forgot,she also gets about 4 cups of Black Oil Sunflower Seeds a day.

Where are you from? NY

Hi Becky,

Congratulations!!

The ingredients that you are offering are fine, however her meals are a bit too large. If you could divide them into 3 meals that would be safer for her. Right now her digestive system is a bit "crunched" because of the space that the foal is taking up.

Her calcium intake looks appropriate. I assume that the flaxseed meal is freshly ground, and this is fine, since it has more phosphorus than calcium. Normally, this would be a concern, but since you are adding rice bran with extra calcium and large amounts of beet pulp, it would balance itself out. The only way for me to tell you exactly the amounts of calcium and phosphorus she is getting is to crunch some numbers. And, that would go beyond the scope of this forum. But, I can certainly help you with that, if you like.

Cut back or even eliminate the sunflower seeds. They are high in omega 6 fatty acids and that can cause her to have a really painful delivery. The omega 6 fatty acids increase prostaglandin production, which causes inflammation and a more intense contraction of smooth muscle (her uterus, for example).

I'm not familiar with the contents of Sho-Glo, but make sure that it is designed for pregnant mares. I like to recommend Mare/Foal IIP because it is appropriate for mares during pregnancy, lactation, and the foal, as well.

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado

She is fed 3 times a day.
5 lbs in AM
4 lbs a noon
5 lbs in PM

I thought she could have more than the 3 lbs a feeding because its forage base with no grain.
She takes her time eating.
I am thinking of adding a 4th feeding of
1 lb soaked alfalfa cubes
1 lb beetpulp

Sho-Glo is by manna Pro and it says to give 2 oz. to breeding stock. I will stop the Boss.
Thankyou, Becky

Where are you from? NY

Hi Becky,

True, grain meals need to be smaller than forage meals. However, too large a meal at one time can be problematic since her stomach size is not large enough. Forages are typically eaten slowly, but a meal that is forage-based is typically eaten faster. And, forages are lighter in weight, so for the volume to reach 5 lbs, it creates a very large meal, indeed. You would be better off reducing the size of her meals to no more than 4 lbs.

To analyze the diet for exact calcium levels would require a more time than is within the scope of this forum. From what you've listed, however, it looks favorable.

All the best,

Dr. Getty :)

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado