Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hay preservatives

Hi Dr. Getty,
After several accidents in which my mare was badly injured, I have been looking for a new place to board her. I found a place that seems to take very good care of the horses, four small meals a day during the winter months instead of two large ones, 24/7 turn out with nine horses per 30 acres with run in shelters. The horses are all very healthy looking, even the manure in the pastures is picked up daily and there is very little mud. At the place I'm currently at the horses have gotten very thin this winter. My mare has ribs and back bone showing. And the mud and manure is knee deep. There are too many horses for the acreage.

My problem is that the new stable feeds Eastern Oregon orchard grass hay. When I picked it up and rubbed the leaves together it has a plasticky feeling to it, it is also a dark green color, so there must be a hay preservative on it such as propionic acid. It smells good though. At the stable she is currently at, she is being feed a local early maturity timothy grass that does not have any preservatives on it, but has a dusty, musty scent to it.

I'm worried about the preservatives on the hay and not sure what kind of damage it may cause my mare in the long run. I'm also concerned about changing from a stemy timothy grass to a finer orchard grass.

Help, should this concern me? I would move my mare today except for my fears about feeding this hay. Anything you could tell me about the use of hay preservatives and orchard grass versus timothy would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Kelly

Where are you from? Tualatin

Re: Hay preservatives

Hi Kelly,

So sorry for the delay in responding. I hope you were able to make the move to the new barn, since it sounds like a much better place for your mare.

Propionic acid is a short chain fatty acid that is naturally produced by the bacterial flora living in your horse's hind gut. These bacteria ferment hay into volatile fatty acids, which are acetic, butyric, and propionic acids, which are then metabolized by the cells for energy and heat.

Using at as a preservative is common and has been safely used for years. It has been shown to inhibit bacterial and mold growth in hay. And, there is no problem in feeding this hay.

So, move your mare with peace of mind that she is in a place that is better managed and healthier for her in many ways.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado

Thank you so much, Dr. Getty, that gives me a lot of peace of mind! I moved her last Wednesday and she is finally healing. As for her spirits, she was a bit depressed the first couple of days, but seems to be happier now. I can now sleep knowing that she is being well taken care of when I'm not there.

Kelly

Where are you from? Tualatin

Hi Kelly,

I think you made the best decision!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado