Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What would be best to feed

i have switched my yearling 14 hands 5-600lbs and 2 year old 14 hands 700 lbs both quarter horses to ultium they are getting 1/2 2 quart scoop a day of it plus about 5 to 6 leaves of mixed grass hay a day each, i was feeding them each 1 full 2 quart scoop of alfafa cubes but i now have pellets, i was thinking that i should feed the a half of scoop of pellets, i was wondering if this is enough or too much or what you suggest, both are in very good health and in good shape i have not got the nutra flex yet but plan on starting them on that soon, how much should i feed of that
thank you very much
felicia

Where are you from? ohio

How did you locate this forum? search

Re: What would be best to feed

Hi Felicia,

Purina Ultium is a low starch feed, but is not adequate for growth. So, the amount you are feeding is reasonable to prevent them getting overweight. However, You will want to add a multiple vitamin/mineral supplement to support their additional mineral needs plus the need for additional lysine (an amino acid).

You could go with Triple Crown Growth, if you have this feed in your area, fed according to directions, plus additional Lysine. Pure Lysine provides 4000 mg of Lysine per scoop and you would want to offer at least one to two scoops depending on the feed you choose.

Or you could stick with Ultium and feed Mare/Foal IIP plus additional lysine. Vita Key Mare and Foal is higher in lysine, so you wouldn't need to get Pure Lysine.

But, the bottom line is -- you need to feed for growth. Additional lysine, along with minerals such as copper, zinc, and manganese are essential, as well.

And one last point... it would be very helpful to weigh your feed since a "scoop" doesn't tell you the weight of your feed. A 2 quart scoop simply measures volume and how much the feed weighs depends on the feed. 2 Quarts of Beet Pulp only weighs 1 lb; 2 quarts of alfalfa pellets weighs almost 3 pounds. So, weigh your feed to get the most accurate measurement.

Since you already have Ultium, I would suggest that you stick with it, and supplement Mare/Foal IIP at one ounce per day and Pure Lysine at 1 scoop per day.

If at some point, you'd like to do a thorough analysis of what you're feeding, along with your hay and/or pasture consumption, I would be happy to help you with that via a private consultation.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

P.S. Regarding the amount of Nutra Flax to feed, you can safely feed 2 ounces (one of the provided scoops) per day.

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado