Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Flaxseed

Hi DR. Getty,
Someone told me i dont have to grind whole flaxseed.They said humans cannot digest whole flaxseed but horses can. Is this true?

Thank You,
Becky

Where are you from? NY

How did you locate this forum? Looking

Re: Flaxseed

Hi Becky,

Flaxseeds are best fed ground to horses. They are not able to digest through the outer hull in the small intestine, so they end up in the hind gut. The bacteria that live there do have the enzymes to ferment the outer hull, but the beneficial inside of the seed (where the omega 3 fatty acids are) will be mostly eliminated in the manure. So, the goal in feeding flaxseed meal is to get it digested in the early part of the digestive system (small intestine), so the beneficial nutrients (proteins, fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, etc.) can be absorbed into the bloodstream.

If you do decide to feed ground flaxseeds, keep in mind that they have an inverted calcium to phosphorus ratio, so it is best to feed a calcium fortified flaxseed meal such as Nutra Flax.

Thanks for writing!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO