Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
EPSM Diet for Easy Keeper & Anhidrosis

My 16 y/o, 16.3H, 1300-1400# Iberian Warmblood gelding is showing signs of EPSM. Need to change his diet, including any necessary supplementation. He is a very easy keeper, and if possible I would like to allow him plentiful turnout.

He also had a couple of anhidrotic episodes last summer. Besides treating with One AC and electrolytes is there anything else nutritionally that can be done? Is there any tie in with EPSM?

Magnesium Oxide supplementation -- I can get straight MagOx (FeedOx) at a much lower rate than some other products. Is it acceptable to feed 1/4 c (2 oz) of this product?

Where are you from? Williamston, NC

How did you locate this forum? referral

Re: EPSM Diet for Easy Keeper & Anhidrosis

I forgot to include what he is currently being fed:

1-1/2# Triple Crown Lite
2 oz MagOx
2 oz Ground flax seed
MSM

Access to free choice vit/mineral which he never touches and free choice salt. Fresh water. 24/7 turnout as weather permits. When stalled, grass hay (coastal & timothy), usually about 4 flakes.

Where are you from? Williamston, NC

How did you locate this forum? referral

Re: EPSM Diet for Easy Keeper & Anhidrosis

Hello Susan,

Your overall diet looks sound. It is low in starch. Check the feeding instructions on the TC Lite. If you are not feeding according to directions, you should consider adding a supplement to get all the vitamins and minerals necessary to fill in the gaps.

My only recommendation would be to have your hay and pasture analyzed to make sure that it is not too high in sugars and starch. If you have trouble locating a testing facility locally, try Equi-Analytical at www.equi-analytical.com.

I would avoid an electrolyte supplement since he is already getting minerals from the Triple Crown Lite. Instead make sure that he is getting enough plain salt. A plain, white salt lick is important, but also add 1 ounce (two level tablespoons) of table salt (uniodized since iodine is likely in the TC feed), added to each meal.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO