Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
barrel horses

hell Dr. Getty,
So i might need to make an appt. with you but i am hoping you can give me some insight to think about first before i do that. all of these horses are all on free choice of hay 24/7 of coastal bermuda, NOT much grass at all. They all get ridden 3 to 4 times during the week and we are racing about 3 weekends a month. They used to be on the ultium but i did not have much success with it.

18 and 19 year old barrel horses are on the following 2 times a day:
1lb of Alfalfa cubs soaked
1/2 lb of rice bran
1lb oats
3lbs of equine senior

7 year old thoroughbred (hard keeper):
1lb of alfalfa
1/2 lb of rice bran
3lbs of oats
1lb of equine senior
1 table spoon of competative edge (silverlining products)

9 year old lactating mare (easy keeper)
1lb of alfalfa
1 lb of rice bran
1lb oats
3 lbs equine senior
* I will be riding this mare soon and getting her back to the barrels. I here i need to milk her alittle after i ride her before the baby nurses again? till the milk is cool feeling?

thanks
kim

will be talking to you soon

Where are you from? Augusta GA

How did you locate this forum? internet and have had one on one before

Re: barrel horses

Hi Kim! Nice to hear from you!

Yes, a phone visit about your three horses would be advised since I do see some gaps. Your lactating mare may need more calcium. And, your other two may require additional vitamins/minerals to fill in the gaps since you are feeding some complete commercial ration, but not a lot. Their vitamin E intake is in need of analysis, as well.

Before we visit, would it be feasible to have your hay analyzed? You can call your local county extension service, or visit www.equi-analytical.com and ask them to send you a free forage-collecting kit.

I'll look forward to our visit,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO