Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
vit/min supp/ extremely carb-sensitive horse

Dr. Getty-

I am so pleased to have found your website. I am trying to find a vitamin/mineral supplement for my 9 y.o. WB who is extremely sensitive to ANY changes in diet.

Current diet: aprx. 4 lbs. of Triple Crown Low Starch, split into 2 feedings. BiotinPlus hoof supp., free choice grass hay (quality unknown due to frequent supply),grass pasture 8-9 hrs daily & worked moderately 4-5x week. I *think* he might be *slightly* cresty & is easy to put weight on. In fact w/ the grass coming in I have cut back the feed to the current rate mentioned. Has min. block but does not use it.

Since the recommended feeding rate of the TC/LS is 6 lbs. daily, I am concerned that he may not be getting adequate vit/min.

In the past alfalfa-based products have caused nervousness, excitability & unfocused, spooky behavior so I stay away from them. Additional rice bran has also caused this undesirable behavior. Due to some mild hock arthritic changes I recently tried Recovery EQ, but even that resulted in nervousness/ jumpiness. Can't imagine what was in that product that set him off (??) but after taking him off of it- he is back to himself.

So, my long winded question is-for a vit/min supp that would be safe to try, what do you think of the D-Carb or Augment (by Adeptus)?

Thanks much for any thoughts.

Where are you from? NC

How did you locate this forum? internet search on equine nutrition

Re: vit/min supp/ extremely carb-sensitive horse

Hello Nette,

Thank you for writing about your horse. Since you are feeding Triple Crown Low Starch, he is already getting some vitamins and minerals, so I would be hesitant to recommend a full-spectrum supplement. However, I do have a suggestion ... I would suggest feeding LinPro, which will not only balance out the diet, but will also provide additional magnesium. From what you describe, it sounds like his magnesium intake is too low.

LinPro will provide an additional 2000 mg of magnesium for 4 ounces each day. Or, you could go with 2 ounces of LinPro and add more magnesium by giving him Quiessence. This may be favorable because 2000 mg is really not enough to see a difference in behavior as well as the reduction of a cresty neck.

I hope this is helpful. Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

P.S. I would suggest that you replace the mineral block with a plain, white salt lick. The mineralized blocks are bitter tasting and he doesn't need it because he is getting minerals from his feed.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Dr. Getty-

Thank you so much for your reply. I like your suggestion of the LinPro & the Quiessence. I do wonder however, if I add both those supplements, will I have to reduce the TC Low Starch to avoid weight gain? And if I do have to reduce the LowStarch, do you still feel like my horse will be getting adequate vit/mineral intake with the new combination of feed & supplements?

Also, thank you, I will add a plain white salt block but really my horse has never liked/used either the salt or the mineral block, is that a problem (like not enough salt)? I have recently noticed my horse is sweating much heavier than the other horses at the barn (even those with heavier coats) with this warmer weather we've been having. Should I be worried?

Where are you from? NC

How did you locate this forum? internet search on equine nutrition

Hi Nette,

Neither of these products will cause weight gain, so there will not be any need to reduce the amount of feed you're currently offering.

Your concern about salt is valid. Yes, you should add salt to his diet. Start by adding 1 level tablespoon per meal of plain, white non-iodized salt that you buy in the grocery store. As the weather gets hotter or if you are exercising him more, you will need to double that amount.

Since he is not used to having salt added to his feed, start with a smaller amount and build up to the 1 tablespoon per meal. Mix it well with his feed.

Hope this is helpful.

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO