Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
RE: Can horses live on just the land for a time?

I'm in the process of moving to Texas from PA. I plan on being there for several months this summer and would like to take my 2 horses with me. The problem is that it's a 3 day drive and I am not moving permanently until the following summer. I am trying to find out if it is at all possible to just leave them for around 9 months (I would be visiting them about once a month) basically on 80 acres of grass and dependable 1/2 acre pond? I may be able to get someone to check on them and to suppliment if needed. If the land is sufficient and the horses are not loosing weight would this be a problem? If they do start to loose some weight...what would be the minimum times a week that I should have this lady feed them? Any insight into this would be very helpful.

Where are you from? PA and moving to TX soon

How did you locate this forum? google search

Re: RE: Can horses live on just the land for a time?

If the horses would be on all of the land, is it possible they might founder? I have to rotate my six in the summer using electric fence - only let them have small pastures of up to 2-3 acres - or they can get way overweight and one has almost foundered before - they have orchardgrass pasture.

Where are you from? Tennessee

Thank you for that advice....I will be able to do something like that while I am there this summer. Would that still be a problem for the fall and winter?

Here are some things to consider in making your decision: Will there be any other animals that will compete for the grass? Is it native pasture or coastal bermuda pasture? What part of Texas is it in? Our climates and soils vary a lot. If you're going to put them in an area that has poor, rocky soil, that would be very different than someplace that produces more grass. We get very dry here--not much rain from July 4 through September--and the grass dosn't grow much then. (And we've had a two-year drought) Lots of ponds (we call 'em stock tanks) have gone dry, although recent rains have helped tremendously. Also, we don't have cool season pastures like you may have in the northern states. Our grass goes dormant in the winter, although that may be less true along the gulf coast. Having said all this, they'll probably be fine, especially since you'll be checking on them. Horses are made to run on grass, and lots of people turn them out for extended periods of time. Normally that much land will provive plenty of grass for just two horses.

Where are you from? Poolville Tx

How did you locate this forum? Equine DDS

We are in the Austin area...so hill country. It is all native grass as far as I know. I do plan on calling the County Extension Service to see what they would recommend for our land. Aside from the deer...there are only a few cows and one donkey. They have been living there for almost 2 years and are very healthy. The pond we have never goes dry...because we are also on a river and can keep it filled when we are there....which we have to do in the summer. I am happy to hear your view and since we will be with them during the hottest times (summer) and will be checking on them every 4-5 weeks....it sounds like it would be worth us as least trying this for a few months. We can always take them back to PA with us if things don't work out. I am also considering paying someone to check on them ...but it would be very expensive to have someone come over everyday as opposed to maybe once a week give or take. I am aware that my other concern would be if something were to happen to them..such as a cut...etc....that is why I would still have someone checking on them.

If there is any other views or suggestions ....from anyone....please, let me know...I just want to make as informed a decision as I can.

Thanks,

Debbie

Hi Debbie,
I usually never reply to Dr.Getty's questions... she is the expert. But since you asked for other suggestions to make an informed decision I just wanted to add... check the fences good. In Texas they use a lot of barbed wire, so you want to make sure it's in good condition.
Welcome to Texas, sounds like you've got a real nice place!!

Where are you from? Texas

Hello Everyone! Thank you for helping Debbie with your excellent suggestions.

If the pasture is adequate and the pond is large enough to provide water that is clean, they will likely do fine. However, make sure they have shelter from storms and especially from the blazing heat. Shade trees are a must.

Also, plain, white salt licks are necessary to replenish their sodium losses.

Since the pasture in Texas can be quite poor in the summer (having lived there for more than 20 years), the overall nutritional value can be damaged by drought and constant heat. So, providing a good quality grass hay in a hay feeder would be one way to ensure that they are supplementing the pasture.

And, as you mentioned, having someone check on them periodically is a must. Colic from heat stress is a very real problem in Texas. So, a reliable person checking on them would ease your mind.

Have a safe trip!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO