Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Nutrena Safe Choice

Hi Dr. Getty,
While reading through some old posts you told someone there were 2 Nutrena Safe Choices
1. Nutrena Safe Choice
2. Nutrena Safe Choice WC (with corn)
So i looked at my tag and my bag just says
Nutrena safe choice with no WC or mention of corn but my tag says this

yeast culture,dehulled soybean meal,wheat middlings,soybeanhulls,rice hulls,dehydrated alfalfa meal,ground corn,yeast fermentation solubles,selenium yeast,brewers yeast ect.

You said Nutrena Safechoice contains no corn, but why does mine contain ground corn?

Is this still OK to feed, I would rather use Triple Crown Low Starch but none of my local feed stores sell it.

I would rather not feed corn,but safe choice seems to be the only low starch feed around here.
Should i still use it or find something else.

Thank you Dr. Getty you have always been such a great help. Becky

Where are you from? NY

How did you locate this forum? Been here lots of times

Re: Nutrena Safe Choice

Hi Becky,

Why indeed?! Evidently the contents of this product depend on the manufacturing facility so some Safe Choice products contain corn and others do not. I certainly can understand your frustration.

I see that you're in New York. Check out Poulin Feeds. Their website is www.poulingrain.com and they have a product called Equi-Pro Carb Safe Complete that looks promising.

Thanks for writing!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hi Dr. Getty,
None of the feed mills around me sell Poulin,I live in Northern NY.
I might be able to get Ultium,Though that may contain corn also.
I have some great news,My mare foaled a beautiful black colt April 3rd at 6:00 am.
MOM AND BABY ARE DOING GREAT.
Now i need to find a good feed for the baby,They grow so fast.
Any Ideas?
Thank You for all your help. Becky

Where are you from? NY

Hi Becky!

Congratulations!!!!! That is wonderful news!

If you can let me know which brands of feeds are available in your area, I can make a recommendation for you.

Or, another way to go is to offer some soaked beet pulp along with a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement such as Mare/Foal IIP. And, offer alfalfa hay for him to nibble on, which he'll start doing in a week or two.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr. Getty,
I wish i could buy safe choice without corn,Is this feed still low in starch with the corn?
Is this still a good feed to give my mare,She gets 6 lbs. a day or should i find another feed.
I can get mostly Nutrena and blue Seal.
Thank You, Becky

Where are you from? NY

I found a place i can buy TC low starch, Should i switch over to this or continue to feed safe choice with corn?
The feeding directions for safe choice says it can be used as a creep feed.

Can i feed TC low starch as a creep feed for foals.(IT says for 1 year and older)
or should i get TC growth which contains oats.
This is so confusing. Thank You. Becky

Where are you from? NY

Hi Becky,

You can feed the TC Low Starch, but also consider adding some of Blue Seal's Omegatin to meet her additional caloric needs during lactation.

And, the TC Growth does have some grain but it is low in soluble carbohydrates compared to other feeds and it has the additional vitamins and minerals needed for growth. So, it would be better to start with this feed rather than the Low Starch for a creep feeding situation.

I hope this is helpful,

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr.Getty,
First i wanted to tell you a friend of mine said they talked to a Rep. at nutrena and were told that all safe choice contains corn.
I also talked to a rep. at nutrena and found out;

Safechoice 1,484 cal/LB 17% NSC
LiteBalance 1,230 cal/LB 14% NSC

LiteBalance has a higher concentration of vit/min
so you can feed lowers amounts.
Sounds like a really good feed.

Just wanted to pass this info. around if anyone is interested. Thanks for everything. Becky

Where are you from? NY

Hi, Just wanted to let you know that Blue Seal now makes a product called "Carb Guard", which is very similar to Nutrena SafeChoice (also pelleted).

Although, when comparing the ingredients, analysis etc... I feel that the Blue Seal Carb Guard is actually better:

NO molasses, 12% protein, 8% fat, 25% fiber & has a lower NSC- LESS THAN 11%)! It is manufactured using the same technology as the Kent/Blue Seal Omegatin (which is a high fat/low NSC supplemental feed great for putting weight/bloom on safely).

My horses love the Carb Guard (one is a very picky eater). I had looked for a higher fat/low carb product in a PELLETED form for a long time (instead of textured) and now it is here. If you can only get Nutrena or Blue Seal easily in your area (me too by the way!), then try the Carb Guard. Blue Seal finally caught up with the latest nutrition trends!

Where are you from? CT

How did you locate this forum? web search

Hi Becky and Jen,

I prefer the Carb Balance also so if it is available, go with that one. I will be looking into the new Nutra product.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

I found a feed store that will order the Blue Seal Carb Guard for me.

Will it be OK to switch my mare and foal from safe choice to carb guard?

I was also thinking of getting the
Blue Seal Sunshine Plus supplement for the mare
and foal.

Would this be a good balanced diet.
8 lbs Carb Guard
1 lbs sunshins Plus
2 lbs fortified rice bran
1 cup ground flaxseed
Free choice timothy hay
white salt block

Baby is eating out of moms bucket so im not sure if i should give her more or give him his own bucket?

Right now im feeding 4 times per day,but im thinking of going down to 3.

Thank you both so much for all your help. Becky

Where are you from? central NY

How did you locate this forum? online

Hi Becky,

Your feeding plan is fine as long as your hay is not high in selenium. The one pound of Sunshine Plus provides 1.4 mg of selenium. And, the 8 lbs of Carb Guard has 1.8 mg of selenium, bringing the total to 3.2 mg. Typically in New York, the selenium in low, so it is a good idea to have your hay and/or pasture tested. You can go to your local county extension agency, or contact Equi-Analytical. Here is their website: www.equi-analytical.com

Since you're also feeding rice bran and flaxseed meal, I'm concerned about an inverted calcium to phosphorus ratio. Make certain that your rice bran is fortified with calcium. And, instead of grinding your own flaxseeds, consider a stabilized product that has added calcium to make the ratio in line with what's healthy. I would go with Nutra Flax since it doesn't have any added grain.

Your baby can surely feed out of the mare's dish, but eventually you'll want to set up a creep feeding situation or a bowl designed for foals, where your mare's head cannot fit into the dish.

I hope this is helpful!

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr. Getty,
I have decided to not use sunshine plus.
The rice bran is fortified with calcium.

8lbs Blue Seal Carb Guard
2lbs rice bran
4lbs Alfalfa pellets
1.5 cup ground flaxseed
20lbs timothy hay
split into 4 feedings

Is the carb Guard OK to feed a lactating mare
and will it be good for a weanling?
It has 12% protein,Safe Choice has 14%

On the bag it has no suggested feeding range for suckling-2yr.old. would it be about the same as Safe Choice?

Do you know how many calories/lb for Carb Guard,
I e-mailed them about a month ago but got no reply.

Thank You so much for yoyr help. Becky

Where are you from? Central NY

How did you locate this forum? online

Hi Becky,

The best way that I can assist you would be to crunch some numbers and give you an overall analysis. However to do that would take more time than I can allow on this forum, so I would need to set up an appointment with you for a personal consultation.
At that time, I would make a inquiry to the manufacturers about the Mcals/lb in the feeds, so we could use this in the calculations.

You can choose Carb Guard for creep feeding -- that would be fine. But, once your foal starts to eat more than 1 lb per day, you'll want to add a supplement designed for growth, such as Mare/Foal IIP and have your hay analyzed so that you know that your foal is getting adequate lysine. Providing additional lysine is always a good idea, however.

I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Re: Low NSC Feeds/Hoof Issues

Greetings Dr. Getty,
I have tried to acheive a low NSC diet for two horses while living in a rural Texas community. Yesterday, the farrier came out and said that both horses appear to have had something in their diet during the last 4-6 months causing slight ripples on the hoof. The gelding -- a very easy keeper -- has a slight space between his white line and hoof wall causing his hoof to flake off occasionally. The farrier attributed this to their possibly having too much of something in their diet.

He has been encouraging horse owners to feed reduced NSC diets to horses. I want to achieve this while also providing a balanced diet for them.

They live together on a dry 1/2-3/4 acre paddock (no grass) and get locally-grown coastal hay and sometimes AZ or CA-grown Bermuda grass hay twice daily.

I have also started them on the supplement Equipride with their meals.

They get two 2 lb. meals daily of a mixture of Ultium and a Bluebonnet Sr. feed (I think this is too high in NSC even though the first ingredient is beet pulp).

The biggest hurdle where I live is the availability of low starch/ low NSC feeds in my small community. We get the big-name brands -- Nutrena, Purina, etc. -- and some regional brands, but most do not tell the NSC level of the feed. Special ordering is not possible. I am a fan of less-processed foods and "real stuff" rather than by-products within the first ingredients. This has steered me away from Nutrena's Safe Choice.

Where do I go from here in finding a safe feed that they will not need in large quantities and something which will improve the gelding's hoof issues? Is Safe Choice the best option? Is Ultium (perhaps alone) okay in the small quantity I am using? I should add that right now, they are not getting exercised much and will not for several months.

Many thanks for any input you can offer in my quest for a low NSC equine diet.
Libby

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? Yahoo search for low NSC feeds

Hi Libby,

First, let me explain that the first ingredient on horse feed (or any animal feed) is not necessarily present in the highest concentration. This is only true for human foods and is not a requirement for animal feeds.

So, if beet pulp is first, it means that it contains beet pulp but you have no way of knowing if it contains a lot or a little.

Grain by-products are actually a good thing -- they are the outer hull of the grain (the bran) or could include the germ, but they are not the whole grain. Whole grains are mostly starch, so you actually want to look for feeds that contain middlings or by-products.

I know what you mean about the scarcity of products low in starch in Texas, having recently moved from Texas. Purina Ultium is a good choice, though expensive. Safe Choice is not reliable. But, you can look at the ingredients label and make sure that it doesn't contain oats or corn -- I have seen bags of Safe Choice that actually have whole corn kernals in them!

One route to go is to simply get shredded beet pulp. You'll want to soak it for 30 minutes and if you can only get the sweetened variety, soak it and then drain the water to remove the sugar. Add some alfalfa pellets for palatability. And, then add a good, comprehensive multiple vitamin/mineral supplement such as Accel or Glanzen Complete.

Bermuda hay, fortunately, is typically low in sugar, so that's a good thing for your horses.

I hope this is helpful! Keep up the fine work!

Dr. Getty