Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Seasonal feeding

Hi there

I'm relatively nw to horse ownership and just need a bt of advice regarding feeding throughout the different seasons.
My 14.2 Welsh Cob is still currently in at night for winter.She has a small feed of Dengie Hi life chop and corse mix morning and night, 3 small hay nets and is turned out for about 8 hours.
She maintains condition well.
How do i know when there is enough goodness in the grass to drop extra feeds? Do i have to gradually turn her out for longer while cutting down the feeds?
Any advice would be great
Thanks

Where are you from? England

How did you locate this forum? google search on horse nutrition

Re: Seasonal feeding

Hello Gemma,

Thank you for writing.

Ideally, your horse will do best on a mixture of grass and legume hays. So, if your pasture is made of grasses but does not have any alfalfa, I would continue feeding a Dengie product (which are made from alfalfa).

If your horse is not exercised regularly, this should be all that she needs to meet her caloric needs. But, she'll need a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement to fill in any gaps. Check with your Dengie dealer to see if there are any complete products that are alfalfa plus additional nutrients.

As far as knowing when the pasture is sufficient... you can mainly go by the appearance of the grass. The only true way to know how nutritious it is, would be to have it analysed. But, by providing a vitamin/mineral supplement, you are providing what the grass may be missing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks for you help!
I have been considering feeding a multi/vit mineral with probiotic so i think ive decided now youve sugested it.
When you say the appearance of the grass do you mean when it starts to look green, healthy and longer?
How much grass would my horse generally eat over an 8 hour period? I realise this is a very difficult question that probably cant really be answered.
Also, i understand that horses need access to a salt lick,why is this?

Thanks agin

Where are you from? England

How did you locate this forum? google search on horse nutrition

Hi Gemma,

A healthy pasture is free of weeds and not overgrown. The amount to feed, however, would vary with the horse. A healthy horse who is not prone toward laminitis, can be left on pasture 24/7.

A salt lick or adding salt to the meal is very important to replace sodium and chloride -- two necessary electrolytes that are not found in high quantity in grass.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO