Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Restore for Horses

There is a new supplement claiming to aid equine ADD. It sounds kind of funny to me... ADD is the only way to explain my horses' behavior (which is getting better with age and training). But I wanted to know what you thought of this supplement and if it was worth trying with my horse. The website is www.restoreforhorses.com. My horse doesn't suffer from noticeable signs of digestive upset... Just erratic behavior when he's distracted.
Thank you,
Andrea

Where are you from? Ohio

How did you locate this forum? internet

Re: Restore for Horses

Hi Andrea,

The website states that Restore is combination of "specific enzymes with amino acids, peptides and soluble nitrogen sources." OK? Which enzymes and which amino acids?

Before you decide to try this, consider adding more magnesium to your horse's diet. Most horses do not get enough magnesium and even a slight deficiency can have a direct effect on behavior and concentration. I have had very good success with Quiessence. Give it a month or so, and then if you find it isn't helpful, examine the overall diet to make sure it is balanced. This product that you're considering sounds mostly like a digestive aid, as well as a way to improve the protein quality in the diet. But, I can't be certain from the description.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

I just want your input on my horse's diet to see if everything is where it needs to be. He is a nine-year-old Apppendix Quater horse gelding (85% thoroughbred). He is shown in as a hunter/jumper. He is about 1100 lbs and 16.1hh. He isn't overweight. He keeps weight on easily, unlike most horses of his type. He doesn't get fat though.
His diet consists of a quarter of a coffee can of Ultium twice a day. It's a 2 lbs, 2 oz. coffee can. 1 cup of Farrier's Formula, 1 oz. MSM, and 4 scoops of Quiessence (I divide the Quiessence up between feedings). He has free choice of a grass hay, a plain salt block, and a mineral block. He also is turned out for a few hours a day to graze. I've tried Modipher on him and didn't notice a difference. He's been on this diet for about 6 months without noticeable difference. He is just a very high energy horse (it's an obscene amount of energy). He's not bad, but sometimes his energy gets him in trouble. He just can't focus very well. I don't feel that it's a training issue... He has these problems with my trainer who is a Grand Prix rider. I just wanted to know what you thought from a nutritional stand point.

Thank you,
Andrea

He's also been on a beet pulp diet with a weight gain and vitamin suppplement by Adeptus Nutrition... This didn't do anything either.

Where are you from? Ohio

Andrea - I to was having that problem with my QH and Dr. Getty recommended the Quinnence, tried that and then also tried B-Plex and WALAW!!! he's as calm as a cumcumber now. We now have all of ours on Glanzen and they are all doing wonderfully. Sorry for interupting your post but Dr. Getty is a mircle worker

Thanks for the info... I may give it a try.

Where are you from? Ohio

Hi Andrea,

Yes, as Vicky said (thank you Vicky, for the lovely compliment! ), in addition to Quiessence, the B vitamins are very important for many essential functions, including calming. BPlex can be added to your current regimen.

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty

Thank you for the advice. I'm trying everything that I have him on along with the B vitamins. I have noticed a pretty significant difference in him this spring. I think mostly maturity but the new diet definitely helped a lot. He doesn't have that "quick fire" quality to him anymore. His energy levels have smoothed out so much; he doesn't seem to have those sudden spikes. Thank you very much for all of the information that you have given me, not only for this horse, but for my insulin-resistant Morgan gelding- He looks SO MUCH BETTER!!! He looks as if he has shed a few years. He's 18 this year, but looks and acts like he's 6. His coat is so silky and shiny. I had worried about taking him off of his grain to switch his diet, but I am so happy that I did... He probably is too. Right now he eats all the grass hay that he wants, beet pulp, LinPro, Quiessence, and moderate pasture time. But I do notice that I can leave him outside slighty longer than I was able to in the past when he was on grain. Both of my horses are so much happier; I no longer have an unhappy, overweight horse or a fire-ball (my other horse). Thank you for all of your advice and I hope you have a speedy recovery.
Thank you,
Andrea

Where are you from? Ohio

Hi Andrea,

Wow -- what a wonderful result for both your horses! Thank you so much for sharing this with the forum and for the lovely feedback!

Keep up the fine work!

Best regards,

Dr. Getty