Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
HYPP feed

I have a horse positive for the HYPP Syndrome. I know carrots are high in potassium, but can he be given them as a treat? I work in a barn where we have alot of visitors and many give carrots and apples as treats. Could this adversely affect his condition?

Where are you from? Ca

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: HYPP feed

Hello Cole,

You're right about carrots and apples -- they are high in potassium and should be avoided. The total diet should ideally be less than 1% (and no more than 1.5%) potassium, so if you need assistance in evaluating the potassium level of your horse's diet, I certainly can assist you.

However, regarding treats -- you can offer some oats or a small amount of cracked corn as a reward.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO