Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
hypp

I am hoping you can help me I have a 3yr old Q.H I just found out that is HYPP-N/H it came to be a real surprise I looked back 8 gen and no HYPP ???? I am so lost on what is going to be the best way to care for him He now is getting 20 lbs for feed per day 17 lbs of broame hay second cut 2lbs of beet pulp and 1 lbs of barley he is getting vita- E,C,and a good vita min supplement I also have him on 60 cc of karo light twice a day he has 44 allergies I listed the things he can eat I am going to try to give a little oats to see if he can handle it with out a breake out of hives .Please if you can let me know if I am on the right track with this I love this horse with all of my heart I just want to do the best for him . Will I every be able to ride him like a normal horse??? or is there things I have to do there as well. Thank you so much of your help with this Lori

Where are you from? alaska

How did you locate this forum? web search

Re: hypp

Lori,
Please don't worry too much over your HYPP N/H horse. Most of these horses have normal useful lives, although they do need attention to their diets. If you follow Dr. Getty's nutritional advice, you'll probably be able to ride your horse for many years. In fact, HYPP horses need to have regular exercise. I have had two of them, one of which I rode in speed events--and she's still doing well at age 23. One tip: Be sure to tell your vet he's HYPP N/H, especially if a tranquilizer should be needed. Regarding the pedigree, if you didn't find Impressive in the pedigree, you might get your horse retested. So far only decendants of Impressive have had the flawed gene that causes HYPP.

Where are you from? Poolville Tx

How did you locate this forum? Equine DDS

Hello Lori,

Yes, learning that your horse is HYPP N/H can be a shock to the system! However, it can be managed and your horse can lead a normal life. Thank you, Pam, for your description and providing confidence in the outcome.

During Hyperkalemic periodic paralysis (HYPP), the muscle cells have defective sodium channels, resulting in a cell that loses potassium to the bloodstream. The result is too high a level of potassium in the bloodstream (known as hyperkalemia). This causes the muscles to overly contract and exhibit tremors. The likelihood of your horse exhibiting these symptoms is reduced but dietary management is still important.

The goal in the diet is to reduce potassium levels. When providing a complete commercial ration, the potassium level should not exceed 1.5%. Also, avoid alfalfa and brome hay, as well as molasses, since molasses is high in potassium. Instead, feed timothy or bermuda grass hay but be certain to have it analyzed first since many hays are very high in potassium. Cereal grains such as oats, corn, or barley (in moderation), and unsweetened beet pulp are fine. Grazing on fresh grass is actually preferable to hay consumption since the potassium level is diulted due to the high water content of fresh grass pasture. But, avoid pastures that have legumes such as alfalfa, clover, or peanuts.

Exercise, as Pam stated, is helpful. So, give your horse access to a large area.

I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO 81122

I am not sure what legumas are I have clover in my pasture and there is not way getting around that I have a black angus bull I am having him go in front of my 3yr dewy so he wont get the clover is that going to good enough ??? Dew is on brome I thought that was the lower in potassium ??? it sounds like it is not the case do you know the difference in the potassuum levels> In timothy & brome Dew is allergic to all hays he can only have brome I did try him on timothy it seemed as if he could hold his own on the timothy hay but that was last yr. Would you change him over to timothy hay? Thanks so much for your help.

Where are you from? alaska

How did you locate this forum? web

Hi Lori,

If I were in your situation, I would opt for Timothy hay, rather than brome pasture or hay since Brome is a cool weather grass and has a higher potassium level than warm season grasses (such as Timothy and Bermuda). And, Brome pasture at this time of year, is higher in potassium than it will be later in the season.

Your most accurate way to handle this is to have your hay and pasture analyzed for potassium. Your local county extension agent can likely do this for you. Or you can contact Equi Analytical at www.equi-analytical.com.

Clover in your pasture is very tasty for horses and yours, unfortunately, cannot tolerate its high potassium levels.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO