Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Laminitis

I have an 8yr old ASB gelding that foundered last spring. His thyroid showed to be a bit low. Now I'm leaning toward EMS w/ him. He has had a laminitic relapse this spring. On his Thyro-L, small amount of Triple Crown Low Starch, beet pulp and grass hay I had no idea that a small amount of grazing would hurt him. He is not bad at this time, front left very sore other seems fine. He was on Quiessence last year at the time of the first founder. I tried normal turnout w/ a muzzle but he got that off, which at this point we can't afford that to happen. So he is now stalled, 1 hr turnout on dry lot. Any suggestions for what to do now and in the future to make his life a useful one.

Where are you from? VA

How did you locate this forum? searching

Re: Laminitis

Hi Kelly,

EMS, of Equine Metabolic Syndrome, is another term for Insulin Resistance. Therefore, there are several things you can take a look at in managing his diet and lifestyle.

First, I would have your hay analyzed for its sugar and starch levels. Your county extention agency can help you or have it done by EquiAnalytical -- www.equi-analytical.com

Second, make sure that the beet pulp you're feeding is not sweetened. If it is, see if you can find unsweetened beet pulp, or soak your sweetened version and pour off the water.

You didn't mention if you're giving him any treats, but avoid any carrots or apples, since they are high in sugar. You can offer alfalfa cubes -- a few -- as a treat, or go with a low starch/low sugar treat such as Skode's Treats.

Triple Crown now has a product called Safe Starch which is even lower in NSC than the Low Starch product.

And, he ought to be getting a magnesium/chromium supplement -- Quiessence -- at 1 ounce per 250 lbs of body weight.

So, all of this, plus the possible allowing of minimal grazing -- take a look at www.safergrass.org for a discussion of the safe times and conditions when a horse can graze.

Lots to think about! And, I appreciate your problem. I hope this helps.

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you for your help. He is on beet pulp w/ NO molasses. I get this from SouthernStates. He does not receive any treats as a rule. Would he be better barefoot during this mild case or will shoeing not affect his comfort to any extent?
Kelly

Where are you from? VA

How did you locate this forum? searching

Hi Kelly,

Excellent! Regarding shoeing... I personally prefer barefooted for horses but during a laminitis attack, there are specialized shoes and/or pads that can be used temporarily to alleviate pressure. I would suggest speaking to a qualified farrier about this.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO