Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Allergic to Corn, Wheat & Beats

I had my horse tested for allergies and, in addition to a lot of inhalant allergens, he came back border line to positive for corn, wheat and beets. I am wondering what you might suggest I feed him. I was feeding him beat pulp and Nutra Flax but he is allergic to beets. So I have switched to 1 lb. steamed, crimped oats twice per day and Nutra Flax. I was also feeding PreOx but he doesn't really care for it. He is out on coastal bermuda pasture 24/7 and is a pretty easy keeper. But I would like to give him a little something in his bucket while the others eat. Should I stick with the small amount of oats or maybe switch to Natural Glo Nuggets? I don't want him to get any fatter than he is. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Lisa

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? online search

Re: Allergic to Corn, Wheat & Beats

Hi Lisa,

How 'bout going with one of the Hay Replacers that are offered by ADM Alliance? Since you have access to the Natural Glo Nuggets (made by the same company), ask about their hay replacers. They have several. Here is the website that describes them: http://www.admani.com/AllianceEquine/ForageProducts.htm

I wouldn't continue with oats, since starchy feeds will increase his insulin levels more. And, you're right about the fatty feed (rice bran nuggets) since he is already overweight.

Hope this is helpful!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

I am feeding my yearling alfalfa pellets (along with Mare & Foal IIP and Nutra Flax). Could I just put my allergic horse on the alfalfa pellets & Nutra Flax as well and just add in vitamin/mineral supplement? He did test positive allergic to alfalfa pollen, but I assume alfalfa pellets would be OK?

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? online search

Hi Lisa,

As we discussed over the phone today, I would suggest avoiding alfalfa pellets simply because there is no way to tell if some pollen has been included when producing the pellets.

Since you are working him regularly, and he is young and healthy, you can safely give him oats -- up to 2 lbs per day. Choose the steamed rolled oats, or simply rolled oats, to improve digestibility.

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO