Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Purina feed

Hi Dr. Getty,
We just got a Purina Dealer in Bastrop.... I feed Nutrena SafeChoice to everyone even my yearling (she was creep fed on it) and have for the last couple years. Since I've sent you pictures you know they do really well on it. The baby has grown up nicely with Mare/Foal IIP, NutraFlax, Alfalfa & Coastal hays added to her diet.
My question is, Does Purina have a low sugar/starch feed that is comparable to SafeChoice? SafeChoice is almost $11 a bag these days!! If they don't I'll keep getting the SafeChoice.
Hope all is well & you're continuing to heal!
Lynette

Where are you from? Texas

Re: Purina feed

Hey Dr. Getty,
While I'm writing......... This winter my husband wants to plant winter rye. Is this a good idea for horses? Rye is higher in sugars, but if it's planted in an existing coastal pasture is it enough of a mix? Is there another winter grass to plant that would be better? Just curious.
Thanks again,
Lynette

Where are you from? Texas

Re: Purina feed

Hi Lynette!

Thanks for writing and yes, I am mending nicely.

The only Purina Feed that is low in starch is Ultium and that is far more expensive than Safe Choice. I know what you mean about the prices of feed going up. It has to do with gas prices and the increased cost of shipping.

About rye grass -- it is a grain and therefore it does contain more sugar and starch than coastal bermuda. But, if you mix it with coastal and you don't let it go to seed, its sugar and starches will be reduced.

Cold weather grasses also include brome and orchard, but I'm not sure how well they will grow in Texas. You'll have to consult with a nursery to see if they recommend trying to grow these where you are.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO