Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
TC Safe Starch

Hi Dr Getty
Looks like we are going to have trouble finding hay this year. I still have about a months worth of hay left for Troy. He is getting coastal free choice. I was looking at TC Safe Choice, what are your thoughts on using this as a complete feed for Troy? I'm not sure that I can afford to feed at the recommended rate. How would you feed this, I would think it would have to be fed multiple times a day. Do you know if it is a pelleted feed? If I have to use this I need to start weaning him on to it while I still have hay. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks
Elyce and Troy

Re: TC Safe Starch

Hi Elyce,

I believe you mean Triple Crown Safe Starch and it can replace hay in the diet but you have to feed the same amount as hay. In other words, you would feed between 1.5 and 2.5 percent of his body weight. I believe, though I'm not certain, that it is an extruded feed (not pelleted) because it is meant for older horses whose teeth are not the best and therefore, cannot eat hay.

It's a fine hay replacer, but if you're not able to feed it at the same rate as hay, Troy will not do as well. Plus, he won't get the "chew value" that hay provides.

When I lived in Texas, there were several seasons when hay was quite scarce and I had to have it imported from California at $17 a bale. So, while that option is not exactly favorable, perhaps you can find some hay that is imported from elsewhere -- even Canada.

Good luck and please keep me posted.

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO