Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Confused by B Supplements

Hello Dr. Getty,

Before I ask my question, I'll provide you with some information about my horse. I have owned my 8 yr. old, 15.1 Morgan cross mare for 1 1/2 years. It has taken her about a year to really settle into her new home. She was formerly turned out with 3 other mares all day, except in winter. She is now the only mare and is turned out 10 hours a day on grass in her own paddock. The 7 horses on the property are all in close proximity to each other in their turnouts so they can see each other. She is fed Poulin 10-12 am/pm (I don't know how many pounds right now - less in the am) and hay at night. She receives Corta-flx (as a preventative measure) and ABC's Plus as her supplements. She is ridden 5-6 days a week, weather and work permitting. Her coat, teeth, feet and weight are all excellent.

My question arises out of her very alert, spooky and tense nature. I was considering switching her from ABC's Plus to B-Plex. She is a very smart mare and does not have any attention issues during training. Her only training issues lie in her tightness at the beginning of a ride, which she warms out of. Based on this limited information, do you think that B-Plex, rather than Quiessence or some other supplement, would be the right choice? I do like the fact that the B-Plex and Corta-flx are economical and identical in the number of servings.

Thank you for your advice. I hope you are now fully recovered from your unfortunate accident.

Carole

Where are you from? Massachusetts

How did you locate this forum? Through my friend Suzanne Quigley

Re: Confused by B Supplements

Hello Carole,

Thank you for writing about your mare. You are wise to consider adding more B vitamins to her diet to help calm her nervous system in a way that addresses her increased need for these vitamins. B Plex is an excellent option, especially since you are already feeding a complete commercial ration. She really doesn't require a full, comprehensive supplement like the ABC product you're using. Instead, adding more of what she specifically needs would be in her best interest.

You mentioned Quiessence, and it, too, is a favorable idea. But, let's do one at a time. Magnesium and the B vitamins work in different ways. So, give her 2 ounces per day of B Plex until you see a difference and then cut back to 1 ounce per day as a maintenance dose. If she still is a little jumpy, then I strongly recommend adding Quiessence because most horses do not get enough magnesium.

I hope this is helpful. Please keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you, Dr. Getty. That's exactly what I'll do.

Where are you from? Massachusetts

How did you locate this forum? Through my friend Suzanne Quigley

Hi Carole,

You're most welcome. I'm glad to help.

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO