Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
beet pulp

Hello,

I need some information on feeding beet pulp. My 8 year old thoroughbred had a severe gas colic the other night and is just now going back on his grain. He will get one quarter scoop at tomorrow's meals along with one wet pound of beet pulp. In addition, he is going to be moved tomorrow to a facility where he will be on pasture 24/7. I know I need to slowly reintroduce the grain over the next week, but I'm not certain what amounts of grain and beet pulp to work up to in addition to the pasture. Everything seems to be happening at once and I certainly don't want him to colic again. Ideally, I would like to minimize the grain and just feed beet pulp to supplement the pasture. Can you help me?

Where are you from? Jersey Shore, PA

How did you locate this forum? have known about it for two years

Re: beet pulp

Hi Cheryl,

I'm so sorry to hear about your horse's colic episode. I'm glad that he's doing better.

Exact amounts of feed would be impossible to recommend since I don't know what else you are feeding, his medical history, his physical needs, etc. However, in general, you really do not need to feed grain and can simply rely on beet pulp to meet his extra energy needs. But, to this, you will want to add a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement to fill in the gaps. There are many from which to choose, but Accel is a basic one. I like the flaxseed meal-based products such as Glanzen Complete, because they meet additional needs and provide omega 3 fatty acids for joint and immune system support.

So, if you would like a customized plan for him, I'd be more than happy to visit with you personally.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO