Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Panacur vs Tube Worming (and salt blocks)

Hello Dr. Getty,
Thank you for this very friendly and informative forum. I just purchsed an underweight 13 yo QH mare. I plan on drilling on her but don't want to put too much stress on her until she gains weight. I haven't yet had her vet checked. I feed free choice hay, and once daily mixture of 12% pellets, alfalfa pellets, beet-pulp, and a ground flax seed supplement. She also has access to a salt block at all times. I would like to feed 2X daily but am unable to at this time. I know she needs work on her teeth as she keeps her head in her bucket and continually drops her feed back in as she eats. When she's done the bottom is covered with moist, chewed up feed.
I have 2 questions . . . One, I use a mineral block for my horses but I noticed you recommend a plain white salt block. What are the pro's and con's of the 2 choices?
My second question is regarding her first worming. I am going to get a comprehensive vet check in the next week or two. My plan was to have her tube wormed initially & then to do rotational worming every other month. After reading many of your posts, I think I'll try the daily wormer for all of my horses. I've been curious about this for some time. So, is the Panacur Powerpak better than or the same as a tube worming? Or is the tube worming an archaic practice as many people are now telling me?
Thanks again for your forum, I will be visiting often.
Angela in DFW Texas

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? member e-mail on Horse Training group on Yahoo

Re: Panacur vs Tube Worming (and salt blocks)

One more thing, I plan on adding a probiotic. Is there anything else I'm missing?
Thanks again,
Angela

Hi Angela,

I answered this question in another post, but regarding the probiotic, this is not as important in her case as a prebiotic such as Ration Plus. This is because a prebiotic feeds the existing bacterial flora living in the hind gut, making digestion more efficient and weight gain more attainable. A probiotic is very useful for horses who have major losses of bacterial flora due to antibiotic thrapy, an ulcer, or other infestation causing diarrhea.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hi Dr. Getty,

Thank you for answering all of my questions. I feel reassured that I am on the right track. I will have India wormed when I take her to see the vet and then I will start her on the daily wormer.

Thanks again for your helpful forum, I will continue to visit and will be purchasing some supplements in the near future.

Take care,

Angela

You are most welcome, Angela. I am glad to help.

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO