Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Donkeys and overcoming WLD

We have a mini donkey who keeps company with the horses. She has been suffering from White Line Disease on and off for the last 6 months - I suspect that while the entire course of treatment has been followed religiously and she appears normal at the end of treatment that the infection is still lingering and then rebuilds and re- presents itself.

Are there any supplements recommended to support hoof health and help eliminate the fungal infection so she can just be her normal jovial self again? We have reduced her handful of grain to barely a taste and she is on pasture but that is also being more limited. It's been very wet which is not helping either. Any ideas would be welcome.

Where are you from? Minnesota

How did you locate this forum? Ordering page

Re: Donkeys and overcoming WLD

Hello Tamin,

Thank you for your patience in my getting to your question.

The best way to fight this fungal infection, besides external treatments, is to boost your donkey's immune function. To be the most aggressive, I would recommend PreOx, a potent antioxidant formula (that would replace any vitamin and mineral supplement that you're already feeding). In addition, supply her with Immusyn, to further increase her body's natural defenses.

I hope this is helpful. Please keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you very much! Your advice is very much appreciated.

Where are you from? Minnesota

How did you locate this forum? Ordering page

Hi Tamin,

Glad to help!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO