Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
pasture/hay feeding

Dr. Getty,
Hello, I am new to your site,after reading a few posts I decided maybe I can find the information I was seeking in your forum. About 8 months ago I moved from the Dallas area to northeast Texas as well as my two horses. My horses have all day turnout on mixed grass pasture, currently the primary grass is Tifton 85 coastal, and natural meadow grasses that grow in the unimproved areas. My questions is it necessary to continue to feed alfalfa and coastal during their "meal" times? I am slowly taking them off oats. Both horses are overweight, one more so than the other. The weight gain came with this move. Ideally I would like them on an all roughage diet.

Where are you from? Northeast Texas

How did you locate this forum? web search on equine nutritionist

Re: pasture/hay feeding

Hello Roxanne,

I'm with you -- an all forage diet for the horse that does not have additional energy needs (for work or performance) is ideal. However, grass can only go so far to fulfill all of your horses' vitamins and mineral needs. This is why I like adding a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement that fills in all the gaps. Also, one that is flaxseed meal based, will offer omega 3 fatty acids. And, the supplement should contain essential amino acids lysine and methionine, otherwise adding alfalfa would be worth considering. So, the supplement I like for this situation is Glanzen or even Glanzen Commplete if the forage quality is not good or for a horse that is aging or has immune system problems.

I hope this is helpful. Thank you so much for writing!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO