Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
B-Plex has mellowed out my mare - Hooray!

Hi Dr. Getty,

I wanted to let you know that after 2 weeks on the higher dose of the B-Plex, and now 1 week at the lower dose, Grace seems to have mellowed out considerably. She is still alert when things are going on but is a lot less concerned about them and less spooky. We have even been able to ride at the scary end of our outdoor ring! What's even better is we are now able to do a walk warmup where she stretches down into the bridle rather than walking with her head up and her neck tense. So B-Plex seems to have solved the hot horse problem. Thanks again for your help.

Carole

Re: B-Plex has mellowed out my mare - Hooray!

Greetings Carole!

That is so good to hear! Thank you for the wonderful feedback!

I would like to add your testimonial to my BPlex page on my website. Do I have your permission?

Thanks again,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Absolutely. I can't believe how much calmer she is right now. I can leave her stall door open while I'm cleaning my tack and she just hangs out or eats her hay. She just seems so relaxed. It must be a relief to her not to have this constant edginess coursing through her body. What's nice is that she still has the alertness and forwardness that I like, just in a more normal way - not jumping out of her skin.

There is one slightly confusing thing about the B-Plex packaging. The scoop that came with it says it is a 60cc or 2 oz scoop. The package says that the scoop holds 1 oz. and that's what Grace is getting - 1 full scoop. I assume the weight of the B-Plex is such that 1 scoop only weighs 1 oz. Whatever it is, it seems to be the right amount.

Hi Carole,

Yes, the scoop is confusing because it weighs one ounce, yet it is 2ounces by volume. We have a very confusing system where we use ounces to mean volume (like there are 8 ounces in a cup) and we also use it as a weight (like there are 16 ounces in a pound).

So, a 60 cc scoop is a measure of volume. If you were to weigh the amount of BPlex that it holds, it would weigh 1/16th of a pound -- one ounce.

Hope this helps clear things up. I'm so happy to hear your good news!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on the scoop issues. Now we'll see if the M-T-G I ordered will help where she's rubbed the top of her tail. It's always something

Hi Carole!

Please keep me posted!

Dr. Getty