Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hay/Turnout

Dear Dr. Getty,

I am geting ready to move next month to my new home where my 2 boys will have 10 acres of lush grass all to themselves. I will have an additional 10 acres temporarily for a total of 20. I am tickled pink over the notion that after 5 years of boarding I will finally be making ALL the decisions for my horses. Although, I cannot complain, I have been very fortunate so far with my current barn owner.

My horses are currently on night turn out which is about 11 or 12 hours. I will continue to do this for the rest of the summer but come winter, I would like to eventually get to all day turnout. How do I know if 10 acres will be sufficient for 2 horses to graze on all day? My biggest concern is hay. I have had no choice up until now and they have only had Coastal and Tifton (2 flakes a day total). How much hay should they have and which kind? They are both perfectly healthy except for one which has had two seizures in the past (which I have gotten your advice on as well). He is not HYPP positive but I am careful with his pottassium intake anyway.

My easier keeper is on a ration balancer by Buckeye and my TB is on the same with oats added. They both get Vita Tech chelated minerals, Ration Plus and salt everyday. I am pretty happy with the regimen we are on now. What advice can you give me about the hay and turnout?

Where are you from? Florida

How did you locate this forum? surfing

Re: Hay/Turnout

Hi Sue,

Congratulations!

Yes, 10 acres is certainly sufficient for your horses to graze on all day. Keep in mind that they will likely need a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement to fill in the gaps. And, while they are not grazing, you can supply grass hay along with some alfalfa, to graze on throughout the day. Two flakes will not likely keep them with something to chew on at all times, so please consider offering enough grass hay so that they do not run out.

For your horse that needs to have his potassium monitored, you'll want to avoid alfalfa and have your hay analyzed for its potassium level.

If you need help with analyzing the big picture for all of your horses, I'd be delighted to offer you a customized plan. Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Have fun!! Thanks for writing,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO