Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Bran mash- yes or no?

I always thought bran mash was very digestable for horses & just read that it is like "sandpaper to their insides" What is the inside scoop?

Where are you from? IL

How did you locate this forum? another website

Re: Bran mash- yes or no?

Hi Randi,

I don't think that bran is damaging to the intestinal lining, but there are a few words of caution I should mention:

First, bran (wheat or rice) has an inverted calcium to phosphorus ratio (meaning it has more phosphorus than calcium). This is a concern since it is critical that there be more calcium in the diet than phosphorus. So, when feeding bran, make sure you buy a product that is calcium-fortified to balance out this ratio.

And second, many horseowners feed a bran mash, say once a week, as a "laxative." This is not a good idea because dietary consistency on a daily basis is very important to the health of the hind gut microbes. By introducing a feed that is digested in the hind gut (bran) on a once a week basis, you are compromising the digestive health of the horse and this can definitely lead to colic.

And, feeding bran as a laxative is not important as long as the horse is getting plenty of forage to eat throughout the day.

So, bottom line... bran can be added to the diet as long as it is calcium-fortified, and is given on a daily basis.

Thanks for asking!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO