Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
nutritional approaches to allergies

Hey Dr Getty, it has been awhile since I spoke to you. In a post a little ways down I noticed you said there are nutritional aproaches to combating allergies. Can you give me some more info on what these might be? I am alrady feeding Tequila PreOx to boost his immune system, and flaxseed for the omega three's that keep his coat so much healthier. With fly season in full swing is there anything else I can do nutritionally to help his fly allergy?

Where are you from? Ca

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: nutritional approaches to allergies

Hi Jamie,

Nice to hear from you!

The PreOx is the first line of defense. However, you can boose the antioxidant intake by providing 2 ounces per day of PreOx.

Horses that are in their teens can also benefit from additional Vitamin C.

For fly bites, I also like to give vitamim B1 (Thiamin) since this seems to be a natural bug repellent. Stay away from garlic preparations... they don't work and garlic can cause anemia in horses.

If there is a respiratory component to the allergies -- heaves, runny nose, etc., then DMG is best added, as well.

Hope these suggestions are helpful!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

My horse had hives from ARipl 15, 2007 until March 2008. Her bloodword was unremarkable and a skin biopsy came back as "allergy-unknown origin".

I tried every possible combination of feeds but nothing changed; placed her on hyroxyzine and dex in varying amounts depending on how severe the outbreak was.

I started to add apple cider vinegar, garlic, flaxseed and quercetin to her dietover the last 6 weeks and she is down to 1 hydroxyzine per day and no dex.

Next week I will pull the hydroxyzine.

Where are you from? arizona

How did you locate this forum? googled it

Hello Kathryn,

My only caution is that you avoid garlic since it can induce anemia in horses.

I have had very good success with vitamin C and other antioxidants, in treating allergies.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

I'll add my 2 cents....

I started my older gelding on Pre Ox about 8 weeks ago at Dr. Getty's advice. Last year by this time he was already coughing, by the end of the summer he was miserable and not able to work.

So far I haven't seen any signs of allergies. The weather has been a bit different this year, too. Still, I do feel the Pre Ox is making a difference and I will keep him on it.

Best of luck!
Melissa

Where are you from? Pocono Mtns. PA

How did you locate this forum? websearch

Hi Melissa,

Thank you for the update on how the PreOx is working for your horse. Antioxidants reduce inflammation and vitamin C, in particular, is a natural antihistimine, found in PreOx.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr. Getty - Quick question - How much Vitamin C per day is the recommended amount horses need? Whiskey is on a joint supplemnt that has Vit. C in it (can't think at the moment how much) but if it's not enough I'm going to order some and also give it to the other two. Thanks so much

Skin Problems

Hi, I am new to your Forum and I am trying desperately to find some help for one of my mares who in the last 2 years has developed a skin problem in the summer. She has rubbed most of her mane and tail off and has lots of itching on her face and back. My Vet has given her several shots, I've tried mineral blocks, I've bathed her in Iodine/water mix, I've used MTG, which seems to work for a while but the other problem I have is I'm a flight attendent and I am not here to doctor her every day. She is misserable and I just need some relief for her.

Where are you from? Rogers,Tx

How did you locate this forum? Yahoo Search

Hi Vicky and Sherry,

I'll answer both of your questions here.

First, Vicky... An older horse does well on 10,000 to 15,000 mg of Vitamin C per day. If the horse has access to fresh pasture, then the lower end of the dosage is fine (there's vitamin C in fresh grass). If on hay, they supplement more. One scoop of Pure C has approximately 8,000 mg of vitamin C. The important thing to remember with supplementing vitamin C is that once you start, you should not abruptly stop. This is because the horse becomes accustomed to a higher intake of vitamin C and will develop deficiency symptoms if it is no longer provided. Vitamin C is very important for older horses because they no longer produce enough, so a daily supply is important to their health.

Sherry... I understand how hard it must be to watch your horse suffer like this. I have two recommendations... First, give her Flaxseed Meal -- plenty of it -- to provide omega 3 fatty acids. If she's not already getting a complete vitamin/mineral supplement, consider Glanzen Complete to meet this need and give her 3 full scoops per day. If she is already getting a vitamin/mineral supplement and it's a good one, then simply provide Nutra Flax.

The second thing is Spirulina. This blue-green algae is an excellent food that is highly effective against any allergens in the environment. It has typically been difficult to feed since it generally comes in a powdered form. I now offer Spirulina Wafers on my website. I am delighted to finally have found a palatable way to give spirulina to horses. Feed 10 wafers per day.

I hope this is helpful. Please keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty