Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
am i feeding right

HI dr getty just a quick question and wondering if i need to fill in any gaps
I have a 2 year old quarter horse gelding, he is a easy keeper 14hands 800 lbs he gets rode 2 -3 times a week for up to 2 hours
once a day
1 lb Ultium
1 scoop Accel
1 scoop lysene
1 scoop Nutra flax a day
1/4 cup vinegar with mother left in it
24/7 turn out
white and brown blocks
'
I also have a yearling 14 hand 700 lb breeding stock paint stallion(will be gelded this fall) im guessing he will get to be at least 16 hands he is lucky to get worked an hour a week. easy keeper also such as ponying, little bit of lunging, nothing strenuous he is fed once a day
1 lb ultium,
1/2 scoop accel
1 scoop lysene
1 scoop nutra flax
1/4 cup vinegar with mother left in it
24/7 turnout
white and brown block

any suggestions would be helpful

Where are you from? ohio

How did you locate this forum? search

Re: am i feeding right

Hi Felicia,

Your plan looks basically sound, but you'll want to have your hay or pasture tested to see if you might need to add more lysine to their diet. Plus, add to this the amount of lysine in the Ultium and Accel. Growing horses, their size, need approximately 30 grams of Lysine.

And, make sure they're getting plain, white salt, and all the good quality grass hay they want. You can safely add some alfalfa to this diet, as well.

If you need some assistance going over the exact numbers and amounts for each horse, I would recommend that we set up a time to visit over the phone. Here is information about my phone visits: http://gettyequinenutrition.biz/TalktoDrGetty.htm

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO