Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
B-Complex

Hi Dr Getty
I have question for you about b-complex vitimins.
I have been giving my horses one B-100 b-complex vitiman (human). I have been told I should not be doing this without a vet's ok. I have always been told B-Complex is a water soluable vitamin that is elimnated through urine, that it does not become toxic because it is water soluable. I am no expert so I am not saying this is true.
I really think my horses one in particular is much calmer.
Am I unbalancing his system by giving this, or is nothing happening?
There is: 100mg of B-1,B-2,B-3,B-6, Pantothenic Acid, and 100 mcp of B-12, biotin 100 mcp,73 mg of Calicium, and 400 mcg of folate.
I have one special needs horse that I spend a lot of money on each month, so I thought giving the human B-complex would be just as good since I am on a tight budget.
So what do you think should I not be giving this to them and instead get regular horse B-complex?
I know this is a strange question but I love my horses and don't have ton of money to spend.

Carol

Where are you from? Smith River,CA

How did you locate this forum? yahoo group

Re: B-Complex

Hi Carol,

You are absolutely correct -- B vitamins are water soluble and for the most part, do get excreted in the urine when supplied in excess. So, toxicities are really quite rare.

The only exception to this is vitamin B6, which can be toxic when given in high dosages. But, for a horse, that level would be enormous -- far more than what you're giving yours.

So, there is not problem is giving your horse this human supplement. Of course, you would have to crush the capsule -- or do they chew it?

B vitamins are very important for many purposes, including calming the nervous system. But, they also serve to facilitate healing of wounds and tendon strains, digestive problems, skin and hoof health, as well as meet the needs of the horse that is exercised regularly.

There is a product on my website known as B Plex, which may be more economical than the human route, but you can certainly do some comparison shopping on that.

Thanks so much for writing,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO