Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Glucosmine

Hi Dr Getty - I always learn something on this informative website. One question I have been wondering about is should glucosamine be used carefully in horse that are easy keepers?

I have been using Quessience for my pony as a staple to her diet for the past 3 years. She gets one scoop a day and at this time has no weight issues now. In the past she was heavy and cresty. My question is although she has not been said to have EMS I steer on the side of caution due to her age/ past weight issues, and feed about 1/4 scoop of TC low starch, 1/4 scoop TC complete and 1 scoop beet pulp two times daily.

She is in her twenties and gets a joint supplement (Animed complete w/ HA) which I'm thinking of changing to Recovery EQ for better results before trying injectable HA. She is still in light work about 4 - 6 times weekly.

My question do you have to watch the amount of oral glucosamine for horses with metobolic issues? The Recovery EQ has twice the amount, but is also higher in other ingredients that I hope will make her more comfortable.

Thank you
Diane

Re: Glucosmine

Hi Diane,

You're wise to be concerned about glucosamine for horses that may be insulin resistant. There is evidence that this joint supplement increases circulating insulin levels. The degree is not yet known, so there are no red flags out as yet. But, since you are doing so well in other areas, you may want to consider a joint supplement that is designed with the insulin resistant horse in mind. It's called Flex IR.

I hope you find this helpful. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO