Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cushings

Hello Barbara,

Did I read 16 quarts of feed? In two meals? And, "copious" amounts of carrots?! Please don't mind my shock -- but please, please reduce his meal size to no more than 3 quarts, and preferably less. Horses' stomachs are relatively small and a large meal can cause colic.

And, the carrots need to be completely eliminated from a cushings diet.

I know how concerned you are about him, and rightly so. His skin is a window to what's going on on the inside and it's not doing well. And, the diarrhea is a signal that his digestive tract is inflammed.

There is so much going on with this poor guy that I would very much like to get together with you for a phone consultation. I don't often recommend it on this forum, but in this case, we need to get him on a plan that will first, get him back to health, and second, improve his quality of life.

Here is the link that talks about my phone consultation service: http://gettyequinenutrition.biz/talktodrgetty.htm

I hope you'll consider visit about him in the near future.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO