Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Fish Oil For Horses

What has been your experience in introducing horses to fish oil for Omega 3 Supplementation?

Where are you from? Maine

How did you locate this forum? Chronicle of The Horse

Re: Fish Oil For Horses

Hello BH Sales,

I prefer to not supplement horse's diets with fish oil. Instead, I prefer adding flaxseed meal to the diet. Flaxseed contains the omega 3 fatty acid called Alpha Linolenic Acid (ALA) which is used by the body to produce two other omega 3 fatty acids: Docosahexaneoic Acid (DHA) and Eiscosapentaenoic Acid (EPA). DHA and EPA are naturally occuring in fish oils and are found in horses' tissues. But, horses do not naturally consume fish. They produce these omega 3s from plant sources of omega 3 fatty acids -- that being ALA.

So, if you want more DHA and EPA, feed more flax, rather than fish oils. I know that there have been studies to show that fish oils are beneficial to horses, but since fish is not natural to horses' diets, I prefer to address their herbivorous nature.

Thanks for writing!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO