Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Old Age

Hi Ashley,

A prebiotic is different than a probiotic because a prebiotic does not contain any live microbes. Instead, it contains fermentation products that feed the existing bacteria in the hind gut, making them healthy, in larger numbers, and better capable of digesting forage and producing B vitamins.

Probiotics (live microbes) are useful in situations when the number of microbes in the hind gut are diminishing. This can occur when a horse is taking antibiotics, for example.

So, to keep the hind gut healthy, I would go with a prebiotic such as Ration Plus.

Regarding bran -- if you are feeding a bran product that does not have added calcium, you may be providing too much phosphorus in the diet. It is very important that there be more calcium than phosphorus in the diet and since you are not feeding alfalfa, this could be a concern. I would be happy to crunch some numbers if you think you'd find that service helpful.

Also, if you are going to feed bran, make sure it's on a daily basis, not once in a while or every few days. Consistency is the key toward keeping the bacterial flora in the hind gut healthy. Some horseowners like to give a bran mash every few days, but this can be dangerous and lead to colic.

Thanks for writing!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO