Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
New horse

Hey there Dr Getty Its been awhile. I am happy to report that we will be getting a new horse for my fiance. She is a three year old TB filly off the track. She has a very mild bowed tendon. We will be taking her once she passes a vet check and is deemed sound for riding. My question is... what can I do for her to assure she stays sound and help support that leg as much as possible? Thnks!
-Jamie

Re: New horse

Hi Jamie!

Congratulations!!! With retired race horses you have two concerns -- first are the joints and tendons and second, the very real possibility of an ulcer. Most (90%) of race horses (and horses that perform with other speed events) have ulcers.

For her joints and tendons, I highly recommend a brand new product that so far, I've heard nothing but raves about. It is called Equinyl Combo with Hyaluronic Acid. Its glucosamine content is time-release, and it contains a patented formula to significantly ease pain and inflammation, called Comfort-X, which is a microlactin.

For ulcers, the best product out there, in my humble opinion, is AmiQuell. The ingredients are very soothing and promote healing.

Have fun!!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO