Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
24/7 Hay in the stall

Hello Dr. Getty,
I have a dilemma over stall feeding.
At this time, I'm unable to keep my horses turned out. I do turn them out every chance I get, at least a couple hours a day, but the majority of the time they are in stalls. I believe in letting horses live as naturally as possible, i.e. 24/7 access to forage, eating off the ground, etc. When I'm able, they will live outside with access to shelter instead of in stalls.
Here's my question, how do I feed my horses in the stall, 24/7 hay, on or close to the ground, without them wasting a large amount? Most of the hay feeders I've found are based on mounting them up high. What are your thoughts?
Thank you,
Angela

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? Online

Re: 24/7 Hay in the stall

Hi Angela,

Thank you for writing and for having a good understanding of how horses are best fed. While they are living in the stalls, you definitely want them to have hay 24/7 so that they never run out. Water, too, of course, is essential, as well as a plain, white salt block.

Regarding hay feeders... certainly the closer to the ground the better, but I have found that even the ones that are head-high are ok because the horse grabs a mouthful of hay and then lowers his head to chew it. Some of it falls to the ground, so they reach down for those fallen tidbits, as well.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO